Job Description for the Position of Maintenance Technician
The purpose of this job description is to communicate the responsibilities and duties associated with the position of Maintenance Technician. While the following information should be considered a comprehensive description of this position, it should also be noted that some responsibilities and duties might not be specifically addressed. Our company emphasizes a team approach and expects every person to perform any reasonable task or request that is consistent with fulfilling company objectives.
It is imperative that you review these duties, skills and physical requirements closely and that you understand that, by signing the Job Description Acknowledgment, you are verifying that you can perform all the duties, have the skills and possess the physical abilities that are necessary to perform the job as described.
The Maintenance Technician is responsible for maintaining the physical condition of the community at all times. This involves insuring a safe and secure living environment for residents, visitors and staff.
Property Manager for daily duties
Senior Maintenance Technician and Regional Maintenance Technician for troubleshooting
Direct Supervisor for personnel issues
Duties and Responsibilities
a. Conduct all business in accordance with company policies and procedures, Fair Housing laws,
Americans with Disabilities Act, Fair Credit Reporting Act, Virginia Landlord Tenant Act,
OSHA, EPA Regulations and all other laws pertaining to property management.
2. Maintenance Service
a. Performs maintenance as directed by Manager and Senior Maintenance Technician
b. Insures timely completion of resident service requests in order assigned by manager. Repairs should be completed within 24 hours when possible.
c. Insures timely turnover of vacant units under direction of the manager.
d. Maintain cleanliness of property and work area
e. Performs after hours emergency repairs according to company policy.
f. Maintains accurate records regarding preventive maintenance, service requests (received and completed), expenditures, apartment make-ready status, work-in-progress, etc.
a. Maintains thorough knowledge of pertinent laws and EPA and OSHA regulations governing storage and management of hazardous materials, including solvents, flammables, caustics and refrigerants.
b. Must be aware of the condition of physical property throughout the community and immediately correct unsafe conditions; e.g., broken gates leading to the pool, broken steps, open holes, broken/burned out exterior lights.
a. Correctly complete all paperwork including maintenance tickets and inspection forms.Correctly fills out time sheets as required
5. Resident Relations
a. Maintain a courteous and professional relationship with tenants
Skills and Knowledge Required
1. High School Degree: Preferred
2. Proficiency in the following property maintenance skills:
b. Plumbing repairs including water and sewer
c. A/C and heating systems (exclusive of items requiring CFC Certification).
e. Water irrigation systems.
f. Stairs, gates, fences, patios, railings.
g. Tile, carpet, flooring.
h. Roofing, gutters, fasteners.
i. Interior/exterior lights.
j. Ceiling fans.
k. Gas fixtures and appliances (where applicable).
l. Shutters, doors, cabinets, windows, sliding glass doors.
m. Door locks, P.O. boxes and locks.
n. Plaster repairs
o. Swimming pool upkeep (where applicable)
p. Changes locks and makes keys.
Minimum 1 year experience in apartment or similar maintenance
Type I & II Certification for handling Freon
1. Hourly, full-time position, or part-time as authorized by Regional Maintenance Supervisor or Regional
2. Minimum 40 hours per week.
3. Overtime: Must be available for after hours emergency calls.
4. Must be available on weekends for staffing needs and emergencies.
5. Out of State Travel: Not required
6. Must be available to work at any company property on a temporary or regular basis.
7. Tools: Hand tools required to perform routine apartment maintenance.
1. Stand and walk: Go to and from apartment units
2. Bend/Stoop/Squat: Pick up litter, work on appliances
3. Climb Stairs: Go to and from apartment units
4. Push or Pull: Work on appliances, plumbing, HVAC
5. Reach Above Shoulder: Work on HVAC units, cabinets
6. Writing: Complete time sheets and complete ticket notes
7. Grasping/Turning: Doorknob use, screwdrivers
8. Finger Dexterity: Operation of maintenance tools
9. Lifting/Carrying: Heavy lifting including appliances, hot water heaters, tools
1. Constant need to read tickets and forms and see detail when working on repairs
2. Frequent need to see small detail and to see things clearly beyond arm's reach
Speaking and Hearing Requirements
1. Constant need to communicate over telephone and in person with supervisors, staff, vendors, and residents.
1. Occasional need to drive to supply stores, other company properties, and for emergency call outs.
2. Must have valid driver's license, automobile insurance and a vehicle.
1. Indoors: Working in shop and in apartment units.
2. Outdoors: Working on exterior of buildings and picking up grounds in all weather conditions
3. Exposure to caustics, solvents, oils, fumes, flammables, pesticides, etc. while working on apartments and in shop.
Must be able to apply principles of logical thinking to define problems, collect pertinent data, establish facts, draw valid conclusions and initiate appropriate course of action. Must effectively convey ideas, images and goals to a diverse group of personalities.