Service Maintenance Technician II
The Community Builders, Inc. (TCB)
Join a growing organization that is strengthening neighborhoods across the nation! The Community Builders, Inc. (TCB) is one of America's leading nonprofit real estate developers and owners. Our mission is to build and sustain strong communities where people of all incomes can achieve their full potential.
Under the direction of the Service Maintenance Manager, the Service Technician II is responsible for promptly responding to all work orders, turnovers and property maintenance needs, and performing repairs at the certified technician level (HVAC, plumbing, electrical, carpentry, etc.) Level II Service Technicians should have a high degree of building trades knowledge, as demonstrated by certification at a technical school, and at least 2 years of experience in a facilities technician role. The Service Technician II is vital to the successful maintenance of the property, through attention to service that affects the overall cleanliness, appearance and quality of the property and its presentation to its residents and to the community. The successful candidate must have an excellent customer service focus, and be able to work in a positive, productive relationship with the other team members, and be technically skilled to work independently.
- Prepares and performs all necessary repairs to vacant apartments for new residents.
- Diagnoses problems and repairs in the areas of electrical, plumbing, carpentry and HVAC, and repairs/replaces appliances as needed. This includes but is not limited to: windows, doors, all fixtures, painting, grout and tile work, keys and locks and grounds maintenance including snow removal from walkways, parking lots and buildings.
- Maintains an inventory of supplies and complies with OSHA regulations
- Responds to all service requests and on-call emergencies in a timely and professional manner, as directed by the Community Manager or Service Manager
- Assists in maintaining the exterior of the property daily to provide clean and appealing curb appeal at all times.
- Inspect the property to insure that all is in order and Service Manager is aware of any maintenance or safety issues
- Timely completion of work order requests and in accordance with company policies and procedures. .
- Provide preventive maintenance for all buildings’ systems, equipment and components.
- Prepare vacant units to be market ready within company guidelines
- Be aware of all utility meter cut-offs, apartment and fixture cut-offs, sewer cleanouts.
- Report to immediate supervisor any problems and/or issues relating to safety or management of the property.
- Available for weekend work, on-call rotation and emergency service call duties.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Strong verbal and written communication skills required.
- Basic computer skills, including industry software a plus.
- Knowledge of Federal Fair Housing Laws & Guidelines a plus.
- Knowledge of all hand and power tools, cleaning supplies, and protective equipment.
- Valid Driver’s License and reliable transportation.
- Strong attention to detail, organizational, time-management and problem solving skills.
- Superior customer service skills including the ability to manage difficult customers and/or situations.
- Ability to read, write, understand and communicate in English, bilingual skills a plus!
Physical Demands & Work Environment: Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Must be able to remain in a stationary position 50 percent of the time. Occasionally ascends/descends a ladder to service the lights and ceiling fans
- Frequently moves equipment weighing up to 100 pounds across sites.
- Constantly works in outdoor weather conditions.
Education & Experience:
- High School diploma or equivalent required. Some trade school desired or 5 years of progressive responsibility in property management, hospitality or retail experience required.
- Minimum of 2 years of advanced hands-on repair experience at Technician II level in one or more building trades
- Industry-Trade certifications/Degrees (NAHMS, CAMT, OSHA, HVAC, ETC) preferred.
The Community Builders, Inc., is committed to ensuring diversity in its workplace, and applicants from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.